Skip to main content

From Delay to Determination

How I Found My Way to University After Eight Years: A personal journey of resilience, sacrifice, and the courage to start again.

By Uwamariya Alphonsine

In Rwanda, access to higher education is steadily improving, with universities and scholarship programs opening doors for many young people. Yet for some, the journey to university is not immediate. It is delayed by years of financial struggles, responsibilities, and life circumstances.

For Uwamariya Alphonsine, now a Mass Communication student at East African University, that journey took eight years.

On a quiet evening in Kigali, surrounded by students rushing into lecture halls, Alphonsine paused before entering her classroom. For others, it was an ordinary day. For her, it marked the beginning of a long-awaited dream.

“I always believed I would go to university one day,” says Alphonsine. “But there were moments when that dream felt very far away.”

After completing high school, she was unable to continue her education due to financial challenges. With no immediate support for tuition, she joined the workforce instead, taking on a full-time job to meet her daily needs. Like many young people in Rwanda facing similar situations, education had to wait.

“There were times I felt completely stuck,” she recalls. “I wanted to study and grow, but life kept telling me to focus on survival first.”

Years passed, but her ambition did not fade. While working, Alphonsine developed professional skills and eventually began working as a virtual assistant. Through this experience, she strengthened her communication, organization, and problem-solving abilities. However, she still felt that higher education would unlock greater opportunities.

“I knew I could do more if I had the chance to study,” she explains.

Her turning point came when she learned about a scholarship opportunity from East African University, one that aligned perfectly with her long-held dream.

“When I heard about the scholarship, I felt hope again,” she says. “It felt like the moment I had been preparing for all those years.”

After applying and being accepted, Alphonsine finally stepped into a university classroom not as the same person who had left high school years before, but as someone shaped by experience, resilience, and determination.

Choosing to study Mass Communication was a deliberate decision. The course aligns with her passion for communication and her career as a virtual assistant.

“I wanted a program that would help me express myself better, improve my public speaking, and open more professional opportunities,” she says.

According to a representative from East African University, opportunities like scholarships are designed to support students who may have faced delays in their education.



“Many students in Rwanda are capable but face financial or personal challenges,” the representative explains. “Our goal is to create access and give them a second chance to achieve their academic goals.”

Education experts note that such initiatives are increasingly important in Rwanda, where youth empowerment and skills development are key to national growth. By supporting students who return to school later, institutions help reduce inequality and expand opportunities.

Now balancing her studies with her work as a virtual assistant, Alphonsine says the experience has already begun to transform her outlook on life and her future.



“My confidence has grown, and I can now see opportunities I couldn’t see before,” she reflects. “Even though I haven’t graduated yet, I already feel the impact of being here.”

Her story represents more than personal success. It reflects a broader reality, one where determination, combined with opportunity, allows young people to rewrite their paths, no matter how delayed their journey may be.

“My journey started late,” Alphonsine says, “but I believe it started at the right time.”

As Rwanda continues to expand access to education, stories like hers highlight the importance of resilience and second chances.

And for Alphonsine, the lesson is clear:
“Success is not about how fast you reach your destination, but about having the courage to keep moving no matter how long the road takes.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Flags in Relationships: What to Look For and How to Respond

  Did you know that nearly 1 in 3 adults have experienced some form of toxic or unhealthy behavior in a close relationship? Recognizing early warning signs or red flags can help protect your emotional well-being and foster healthier connections. In this post, you’ll learn 7 key red flags to watch for in any relationship, why they matter, and practical steps to respond effectively. Whether it’s a romantic partner, friend, or family member, understanding these signs can empower you to safeguard your mental health and happiness. 1. Overly Controlling Behavior Imagine a partner who insists on knowing your every move or dictates what you wear. This controlling behavior is a common red flag signaling a lack of respect for your autonomy. Healthy relationships allow space for individuality and trust. Takeaway : Setting boundaries around your freedom is crucial. Don’t let control become a barrier to your authentic self. Setting healthy boundaries helps maintain individuality and respe...

Sovereignty in Relationships: The Quiet Power of Knowing Yourself

The healthiest relationships aren’t built on control or dependency; they’re built on two sovereign individuals choosing each other every day. Yet, sovereignty in love is rarely discussed. In a world that often confuses love with neediness or control, the idea of personal sovereignty is nothing short of revolutionary. In this reflection, we’ll explore: What sovereignty really means in a relationship The key traits of a sovereign partner Signs of a lack of sovereignty How sovereignty shapes trust, communication, and emotional well-being Why cultivating sovereignty leads to empowered, fulfilling connections What Is Sovereignty in Relationships? At its core, sovereignty means becoming your most authentic, grounded, and empowered self — even within the deep bonds of a relationship. It’s about: Deep self-knowledge → knowing your triggers, patterns, and values Clarity of desires and needs → understanding what truly matters to you Inner leadership → guiding your l...

"What Are We?” Why Situationships Are Taking Over Modern Dating

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. You meet someone, you talk every day, you spend time together, and everything feels like a relationship. But when someone asks, “ What are you? ”   there’s no clear answer. That’s the reality of modern dating. And it’s becoming more common than ever. Modern dating isn’t what it used to be. There was a time when relationships followed a clear path: people dated, built connections, met each other’s families, and eventually committed. Today, things are different. Relationships are more flexible, less defined, and often confusing. This is where the concept of a situationship comes in, a growing trend that reflects how dating culture is changing in the digital age. What Is a Situationship? A situationship is a romantic connection that exists somewhere between friendship and a committed relationship. You text regularly. You go out together. You may even be emotionally or physically involved. But there’s no clear definition, no label, and...